Friday, May 1, 2009

Lamaze Class 101

We started our childbirth classes last night at Clarian West. We do 5 weeks of lamaze, 1 week of newborn basics, and 1 week of breastfeeding ... so we'll finish up June 11th. It wasn't too bad but I could definitely do without the videos. Chad and I are jokesters so we had a hard time keeping a straight face sometimes. For example, they have the birthing balls (the big exercise balls) and it says in the book to cleanse your balls with soap and water. I'm sorry but that's just funny. So of course that's all we keep asking each other now ... I'll grow up one of these days I promise. Ok - back to the class. The first hour was a meet and greet and just an overview of what the classes would discuss. Then we took a break and after the break we started discussing what happens before the actual birth process. Then we took another short break and the last half hour was relaxation/exercise time. We practiced relaxing our bodies and having contractions and getting into positions to help with childbirth, etc. Chad just stood over me with his hands on his hips while I squatted down and put on my contraction face. I told him in the car when we were leaving that he was allowed to be by me and touch me. That I would practice the birthing part and he could practice the comforting part. I know he'll do well when the time comes but I think it was a little awkward for him. We concluded the night however with a nice video of 3 women working through the contractions and then having the baby ... gross. Like I said, I could do without that ... just give me some info so I know what to expect and I'll just trust that my body will know what to do with the rest. It kind of scares me even more to see the videos. I have no tolerance for pain whatsoever. Next week we get to watch the birthing process from the beginning to the end ... but they have taken out the screaming and replaced it with some nice relaxing music ... hmmm we'll see. Oh ... one last thing. So we can't go anywhere without Chad running into someone he knows. There's a guy in our class that Chad went to school with and when we were heading into the hospital, we ran into Dustin Helton's mom and grandma. It was really nice seeing them and it kind of eased my mind a little before class.

No comments: